Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Google's Social Search: You're doing it wrong!

The Google search is trying to implement the social results into the search results. Nice idea! I also had a blogpost about it [here].    However, I believe, Google is doing it wrong!

For example when I searched for "ipad 3" in Google, while logged in, it showed me results from google plus pages. While I am all for the results from the integrated social circles like google+, I might not want to see those while doing regular search. Moreover, the results were displayed at two rows, to make sure that I do not miss the buzz about the search in my social circle. That is little annoying.
 When I logged out, and searched, I felt that the results were much more diversified. That means, social search? you are doing it wrong!

My suggestions would be: do it in tabs (see bing picture)! Or, it could be well be to display the results from plus on the right-most side. Tab might be better solution to display results from social search. If I were specifically interested about what my circle thinks about ipad 3, I could go to that Google+tab.

I also tried Bing for it, very unusual :P. However, I think I liked the bing results more than the google's. Specially, I liked how they have learned that Kindle might be relevant search option for the ipad search. I have no idea why they inferred "When Is Chinese New Year 2012" as the relevant search term. But, they seem to have learned from the key words that:
  • ipad 3 is most likely to be released in 2012
  • fire is a choice against ipad
Well, somebody is learning, thanks to Google!
Google results with social search results!
The first one is the news, the second and 6th are from plus.
Tab might be better solution to display results from social search. If I were specifically interested about what my circle thinks about ipad 3, I could go to that Google+tab.
Google Search without social. No comments, it is Google!

Binged! I like how they have put Kindle fire on the top left, and the tabbed results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment.
Please stay on topics; off-topic/advertisement comments will be removed.

You may also like to visit : My Frame of Reference
(Press shift while clicking: Opens in New window.)